30-Day Self-Guided Whole Body Detox
Feeling sluggish? Struggling with digestive problems? Can’t seem to lose weight? Want to break free from your sugar and carb cravings? If so, it is the perfect time for a whole body detox. If the word detox makes you nervous, it shouldn’t! Detoxifying or cleansing your body is simply a means of reducing your toxin intake while enhancing the body’s channels of elimination, improving circulation, and nourishing the body with healthy nutrients.
Our nutrition experts at Village Green Apothecary have created a gentle yet effective 30-day detoxification program built around eating a fresh, whole foods diet and taking key supplements to help combat food cravings, aid in the removal of toxins, and support digestive health. This cleansing program is designed to reboot your entire body. It will address your blood, bowel, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. And, it can help jumpstart weight loss, boost energy, decrease inflammation, and promote brain chemistry balance and hormone balance.
Whole Body Detox Action Plan
Sugar and flour are extremely addictive substances that are at the root of many of our chronic diseases, such as dementia, type 2 diabetes, depression, obesity, heart disease, and much more. Americans consume hundreds of pounds of sugar and flour each year, more than ever before in history. Processed foods that are filled with sugar and additives alter your brain chemistry and can keep you on a roller coaster of feeling both hungry and lousy. It is time to break the cycle and reclaim your health! In this 30-day cleanse, you are to eliminate:
- All forms of sugar, including natural sweeteners such as honey, molasses, agave, maple syrup, cane juice, artificial sweeteners, candy, chocolate, sodas, juices, sports drinks, sweetened teas and coffees
- Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.)
- Flour products (cookies, cakes, crackers, pasta, bread, pretzels, etc.)
- Fried foods
- Processed foods
- Foods that contain hydrogenated oils, preservatives, additives, colorings or dyes
- Anything that comes in a box, package, or can (except wild tuna, wild salmon, sardines, and anchovies)
What to Eat
- Clean, organic, hormone-free, grass-fed protein (eggs, chicken, wild fish, lamb, lean beef, etc.) should be eaten at every meal/snack and is key to balancing blood sugar and reducing cravings.
- Unlimited organic, non-starchy vegetables. Choose organic fresh vegetables when possible, but organic frozen vegetables can be your second choice. Avoid canned, creamed or pickled vegetables. Enjoy your vegetables raw, steamed, sautéed, baked, or roasted. Examples include artichokes, asparagus, bean sprouts, bell or other peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, green beans, dark leafy greens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, okra, radishes, scallions, sea vegetables, snow peas, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, and tomatoes.
- Healthy Fats can help with satiation, balance blood sugar and provide energy. Examples include unsalted nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, cashews, nut butter, ground or whole flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds), extra virgin olive oil, olives, coconut, and avocados.
- Fresh or frozen organic fruit. Avoid canned or dried. Good options include berries, apples, apricots, cherries, grapefruit, oranges, cantaloupe, pears, grapes, mangos, watermelon, peaches and plums. Limit yourself to 1-2 servings of fruit daily.
- Legumes. Eat a variety of beans and legumes if you tolerate them. Examples include garbanzo, lentils, lima beans, kidney beans, red beans, white beans, black beans, non-GMO soy (tempeh or miso), and split peas. Dried beans should be soaked overnight. Rinse the beans with fresh water before cooking.
- Add spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom can naturally sweeten your foods and reduce cravings.
Beneficial Detox Supplements
Pathway Ultra Cleansing System – provides a comprehensive herbal two-part formula to aid in the removal of toxins.
- Take 2 capsules 20 minutes prior to breakfast / 2 capsules at least 1 hour after your evening meal
Pathway ClearFiber – Soluble fiber that promotes blood sugar balance and healthy bowel activity.
- Mix 1 tablespoon in 4 oz of water after your evening meal
Pathway Plant Protein – Delicious tasting vegetarian protein shake that can help support
blood sugar levels (gluten free, dairy free, soy free, NON-GMO) – available in chocolate and vanilla.
(Can be used as a meal replacement or as a snack; if used once daily, one container will last for 2 weeks.)
- Mix 1 scoop in 12 oz of water daily, or as desired.
Pathway L-Glutamine –An amino acid that can help combat sugar and carb cravings and supports digestive health.
- 1-2 capsules between meals, especially when experiencing cravings
Whole Body Detox Tips
- Eat regularly. Eat three meals and two snacks or five small meals a day. Eating every 3-4 hours promotes blood sugar balance. Be sure to incorporate protein, fat, and fiber with each meal and snack.
- Take a high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement, vitamin D3, omega 3 fatty acids, and probiotics. Nutrient deficiencies can drive cravings for sugar and carbohydrates.
- Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Poor sleep can cause poor food choices.
- Practice deep breathing exercises for 5 minutes a day to help to manage stress.
- Drink 6-8 (8oz) glasses of filtered water a day to help with toxin removal. Herbal teas count toward
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to help promote toxin elimination via sweat.
- Take a nightly detox bath containing 2 cups of Epsom salt and 10 drops of lavender oil.
- Reduce your toxin exposure. Opt for natural alternatives to chemical-based household cleaners and personal health care products.
- Minimize use of added salt. If desired, use small amounts of sea salt, Himalayan salt, or dulse flakes..
- Stick with it! Symptoms such as fatigue or headache may be experienced at the beginning of a detox and should dissipate within the first few days of this program, as should cravings for carbs and sugar.
Questions? Email a Village Green nutritionist or call 800-869-9159.
Learn more about our nutrition counseling and wellness services.