It started with a tummy ache and a fever at 4am, and then ended with a 3-minute strep test. My youngest tested positive for strep. This time I did choose to do antibiotics, which was not a decision I made lightly. I am also pairing it with Udo's Infant Probiotics to provide digestive and immune support. (Probiotics should be taken separately from antibiotics, so as not to interfere with the efficacy of the antibiotic.)
Here are some additional tips to provide relief from any type of sore throat:
- Warm soothing liquids, including homemade chicken soup. I use lots of garlic, onion and real chicken.
- Teas – drink ginger tea with honey throughout the day. (Steep raw ginger in boiling water for 10 minutes and add honey.)
- Cool washcloth on the forehead will provide relief from fever.
- Pathway Kids Biotic: 30 drops 3 times per day (it's based on weight, so check the label).
- Pathway Throat Ease: a little spray whenever needed.
Before you dismiss antibiotics, keep in mind that if your child does have strep, if left untreated it can become something more serious. However, not all sore throats are strep (only about 30%). So, talk to your doctor about the possibility of waiting to administer antibiotics.