So many of us eat unhealthy foods when we feel stressed. With food available everywhere, it’s easy to see how easily food can be being used as an unhealthy form of stress relief. Unfortunately, using food to relieve our stress is a temporary solution at best, with the long-term consequences ranging from obesity to poor health, to a lack of confidence, poor self-esteem and more. Want some healthy alternatives to dealing with stress when it hits? Here are 10 tips to reduce stress-related cravings and binge eating.
1. Watch funny comedies or videos!
• Did you know that on average, a child laughs 300 times a day and an adult only laugh 17 times a day? There are studies that prove multiple health benefits that laughter has on health. Laughter decreases the amount of stress-related hormones in our brain!
2. Drink water to curb appetite.
• Water helps to keep you hydrated and energized.
• A study showed that people who drank about 2 cups of water before a meal ate about 75 – 90 calories less than people who did not drink water before a meal. (2)
• Find ways to flavor the water with all-natural ingredients such as lemon, lime, mint and a bit of stevia for sweetness.